Wednesday 21 November 2012

Sticky sausages to warm you up this winter

Sticky roasted sausages
Sticky roasted sausages
I've always been a sucker for sausages, but am an unapologetic snob about the quality level that a banger has to meet before I'm willing to take a bite. Even as a cash-strapped university student I recognised that it was worth shelling out for weiners that were packed with at least 80% real meat, as cheaper imitations filled with gristle and fat were the wurst...(!)

Sausages are so much more flavourful when seasoned well and stuffed with proper meat. I'd recommend a trip to your local butcher or farmers' market to see some of the fantastic frankfurters on offer (I bought my last batch of saussies from Brockley Market). They make the perfect comfort food, especially at this time of year when the long dark nights begin to surround us.

Whilst mashed potatoes and baked beans are classic accompaniments for a juicy banger, I've decided to mix things up by creating this recipe for a hearty roasted sausage and potato bake for Olive Branch, using their ingenious apricot and olive oil jam to produce the perfect sticky glaze.

Day #289 - sticky sausages with apricot jam
Day #289 - sticky sausages with apricot jam
This snapshot also featured as part of #week42 of my #Project366 challenge - there's now exactly 40 days left in 2012, which means Christmas can't be far away...!

2 comments:

  1. Bonus points for meat based puns! I must admit I don't know much about meat (was veggie for 7 years) but every 3 months when their is an agricultural show in Ardingly we go to the butcher there and spend about £30 on top quality meat to keep us going for a bit. There's 1 in 2 weeks - can't wait! Will have to give this recipe a go should we invest in top notch sausage :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! Easy to cook, looked fantastic and tasted good!

    ReplyDelete